Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Kimomoing

So I totally forgot to post these pictures. I've been taking kimono lessons for the past semester. If you don't know much about them, you might default to "how hard can it be? it's a robe". Yeah, no. It's really hard. It's one thing to go through the movements and another entirely to get the right feeling for when people see you in your kimono. There's definitely a difference in perceptions of aesthetics between myself and my kimono teacher whether it comes to color, shape, or angle.

Whenever I think I've gotten something right, she shifts it half an inch before nodding approvingly at her work. Thus part of learning to wear a kimono isn't just going through the motions but adding a certain flair in the small tucks and folds of the fabric. It is also a great lesson in seeing how fabric affects itself in the way it is pulled or pushed. The kimono itself is made up of rectangles and the obi is another very long rectangle. All in all very simple, but the way it can be folded appears to be so much more.

Anyway, those are my half-awake thoughts.

KT

No comments:

Post a Comment